Call us now 0800 387 454 for free
design advice, free surveys and free estimates

Building Dreamsfor Lifetime Homes


Q. Do I need planning permission to build an :Extension, Loft Conversion, Garage convert, House into flats convert, A house into-home.
A. Yes, Most of the time you probably will, You should apply for planning permission prior to any construction work.
In some instances you can build within your permitted development, but this still requires you to obtain a Lawful Development Certificate. You will also need to inform Building Control Department prior to any construction work.

Q. Do I need drawings and plans before I go out to tender?
A.Yes, you should try to produce some sort of drawing or sketch layout of what you want to build or alter and a brief specification of the works to give to the contractor when he arrives to carry out the survey.

Q. I want to carry out some internal structural alterations, Do i need planning permission?
Example: Knock through lounge,Take out Chimney breast.
A. NO, But you will need to inform The Building Control Department of your local council and produce structural calculations to show how you are going to support the floors /roof etc.

Q. What type of grants are there and for what type of work?
A. Insulating your loft,central heating, disability-bathrooms –ramps-lifts dilapidation’s


Q  .  Are there any circumstances where infrastructure contributions through planning obligations should not be sought from developers?

A.  As set out in the StarterHomes Written Ministerial Statement of 2 March 2015, starter homes exception sites should not be required to make affordable housing or tariff-style section 106 contributions.

There are specific circumstances where contributions for affordable housing and tariff style planning obligations (section 106 planning obligations) should not be sought from small scale and self-build development. This follows the order of the Court of Appeal dated 13 May 2016, which give legal effect to the policy set out in the Written Ministerial Statement of 28 November 2014 and should be taken into account.

These circumstances are that;

contributions should not be sought from developments of 10-units or less , and which have a maximum combined gross floorspace of no more than 1000 sqm.

in designated rural areas, local planning authorities may choose to apply a lower threshold of 5-units or less. No affordable housing or tariff-style contributions should then be sought from these developments. In addition, in a rural area where the lower 5-unit or less threshold is applied, affordable housing and tariff style contributions should be sought from developments of between 6 and 10-units in the form of cash payments which are commuted until after completion of units within the development. This applies to rural areas described under section 157(1) of the Housing Act 1985 ,which includes National Parks and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

affordable housing and tariff-style contributions should not be sought from any development consisting only of the construction of a residential annex or extension to an existing home.